Small towns are often my favorite part of a trip. Quaint, historic, and authentically beautiful, these little cities or villages are often a true depiction of life in any country. So when a friend told us about Bamberg, we knew it was the perfect choice when looking for a one night stay in Bavaria.
This picturesque little town is just north of Nuremberg and was the ideal stopover on the too-long train ride from Berlin to Munich. As soon as we arrived in the center of the old town it was like entering a fairytale. I thought for sure I had stepped back in time, or at least into a Brothers Grimm narrative. It was exactly the type of imagery I had been hoping for.
Bamberg is famous for its smoked beer, or “Rauchbiers”, a beverage that isn’t made anywhere else in the world. It’s a strong taste, and it certainly tastes “smoked”, but you definitely have to try a pint while visiting this little town.
Where to Stay
- Hotel Nepomuk – One of the most adorable hotels you’ll find in Bamberg, this hotel is truly Bavarian in design and site overtop the river. It’s also attached to Eckerts restaurant which has an amazing menu for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.
What to Do & See
- Altes Rathaus – The town hall is a serious photo op, sitting on the river and the perfect Bavarian backdrop. This is the type of building you think of when you hear “Germany”.
- Bamberg Cathedral & Alte Hofhaltung – The 13th century cathedral is free to enter and the former home to the bishop next door is now a museum. These architectural attractions are worth a photo stop at least, and be sure to also visit the adjacent Rosengarten – a beautiful rose garden with great views of the city.
- Get lost – This is one of those towns with little alleyways that twist and turn and land you in a beautiful square. The roads aren’t in neat grids, nor do they even stay on the same level (you’ll often find staircases in place of sidewalks). This is the perfect town to wander, find something new or old, and enjoy getting lost.
Where to Eat & Drink
- Schlenkerla – Across from Kachelofen is the historic 15th century brewery famous for smoked beer, the signature drink of Bamberg.
- Kachelofen – This place was recommended by several locals for great, traditional food. The patio is also a great place to people watch. Great for lunch or dinner.
- Spezial Keller – A little ways up the hills of Bamberg is this beer garden with picturesque views of the city. Great for lunch, dinner, or just a beer.
- Eckerts – As mentioned, this little restaurant on the water is inside Hotel Nepomuk. Great for brunch, but if you need a late night snack their dessert menu can satisfy all cravings.
- Cafés – a local told us to visit any of the various cafes where older women will often sit with you and talk, bringing sweets. We didn’t get to make it to any unfortunately, but it’s an activity we wished we did not miss!
If you’re looking for a town outside of the busy cities of Germany, Bamberg is a fantastic place to hop off the train and spend a night. The town is truly like looking at a postcard, and will not disappoint any culture-seeking traveler.
Want more places to visit in Bamberg?
Click here for the full Germany map and travel guide.
Leave a Reply