Paradise found. Located off the coast of Madagascar, Mauritius is an interesting blend of cultures – French, African, and Indian. More affordable than the nearby Seychelles, Mauritius is an island of luxury. Beautiful beaches, an abundance of five-star resorts, and plenty of gorgeous places to take day trips – you won’t run out of beautiful things to see on the island. A reef surrounding the island makes it inaccessible for most sharks (there are some exceptions of course) and there are practically no dangerous animals that inhabit the island. It really is a paradise.
- Language = French, Creole, Bhojpuri, English
- English spoken in most tourist areas
- Money = Mauritian Rupee
- Mauritius is a country filled with luxuries, so you’ll find things throughout the island are not cheap.
- Transportation = taxis are easiest way to get around
- Sir Gaëtan Duval Airport is the main airport, located on the eastern side of the island.
- Best Time to Visit = May – December
- November – April can get very hot and humid
Things to Note
Thanks to strict laws, crime is very low in Mauritius. There are very few dangerous animals and the island is also mostly surrounded by a reef, so sharks typically cannot access the beaches (with some exceptions). Overall, Mauritius is a very safe country.
- Foods to Try
- Phoenix beer – The domestic Mauritian beer
- Indian creole – The blend of cultures in Mauritius is evident in the food
- Meefoon – a traditional chicken and rice noodle soup
- Top 3 Must-See Spots
- Port Louis – the capital city
- Île aux Cerfs
- Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Garden
Gratuities are common, and expected for good service, especially in luxury hotels.
|Taxi (negotiate fare in advance)||100-200|
|Spa||5% – 10%|
Geo Travel Guide
Check out some of our favorite locations in Mauritius via the map below.