Paradise found. Located off the coast of Madagascar, Mauritius is an interesting blend of cultures – French, African, and Indian. More affordable than the nearby Seychelles, Mauritius is an island of luxury. Beautiful beaches, an abundance of five-star resorts, and plenty of gorgeous places to take day trips – you won’t run out of beautiful things to see on the island. A reef surrounding the island makes it inaccessible for most sharks (there are some exceptions of course) and there are practically no dangerous animals that inhabit the island. It really is a paradise.
- Language = French, Creole, Bhojpuri, English
- English spoken in most tourist areas
- Money = Mauritian Rupee
- Mauritius is a country filled with luxuries, so you’ll find things throughout the island are not cheap.
- Transportation = taxis are easiest way to get around
- Sir Gaëtan Duval Airport is the main airport, located on the eastern side of the island.
- Best Time to Visit = May – December
- November – April can get very hot and humid
[currency_bcc w=”300″ h=”300″ s=”09044f” fc=”FFFFFF” f=”USD” t=”MUR” type=”custom”]
Things to Note
Thanks to strict laws, crime is very low in Mauritius. There are very few dangerous animals and the island is also mostly surrounded by a reef, so sharks typically cannot access the beaches (with some exceptions). Overall, Mauritius is a very safe country.
- Foods to Try
- Phoenix beer – The domestic Mauritian beer
- Indian creole – The blend of cultures in Mauritius is evident in the food
- Meefoon – a traditional chicken and rice noodle soup
- Top 3 Must-See Spots
- Port Louis – the capital city
- Île aux Cerfs
- Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Garden
Gratuities are common, and expected for good service, especially in luxury hotels.
|Taxi (negotiate fare in advance)||100-200|
|Spa||5% – 10%|
Geo Travel Guide
Check out some of our favorite locations in Mauritius via the map below.
[related_posts_by_tax title=”Read More About This Country” post_types=”posts,pages” image_size=”medium” format=”thumbnails” posts_per_page=”-1″]